AI summary & topic connections
A UK commenter reports severe EHS, cognitive and physical symptoms, lost work and relationships, and relocation to a low-exposure farm. Describes gradual improvement and creation of wireless-free accommodation. Requests rigorous research while explicitly noting that one experience cannot establish causation.
- Electromagnetic sensitivity: “d 18 – Lived experience of EHS I am submitting this response from the UK as an individual with EHS. I am in my mid-fifties and developed EHS in my forties. It became severe enough to fundamentally c”
- Neurological symptoms & sleep: “sure, and my sensitivity appeared cumulative. Severe reactions included intense headaches progressing to migraine-like episodes, extreme sensitivity to light and sound, inability to eat, fe”
- Towers & siting: “ays before gradually recovering. A significant source of RF/EMF exposure was a cell tower in the paddock I rented for my horses. Over time it carried equipment from approximately six provid”
- Smart meters: “. I also experienced severe abdominal cramps, particularly in association with smart meters, episodes of slurred speech and serious cognitive problems. My short-term memory could disappear to”
- Housing, work & access barriers: “ecame unable to think clearly, was physically weak and exhausted, and for years could not work or earn a living. I could no longer attend my children's school meetings, shop, visit the doctor or dentist without ”
- Research & federal duties: “ducing my exposure was followed by substantial, although gradual, improvement. Rigorous, independent research is urgently needed. This is not an abstract debate about technology. It affects where we can live, ”
- Wi-Fi & indoor exposure: “st all my friendships because I could no longer visit people's homes or meet in wireless public environments. EHS also placed considerable strain on my marriage and has played a significant part in its breakd”
ORIGINAL COMMENT · UNEDITED TEXT
Questions 3, 11, 16 and 18 – Lived experience of EHS
I am submitting this response from the UK as an individual with EHS. I am in my mid-fifties and developed EHS in my forties. It became severe enough to fundamentally change where and how I live and work.
Q3 – Personal experience
My symptoms varied with the type, intensity and duration of exposure, and my sensitivity appeared cumulative. Severe reactions included intense headaches progressing to migraine-like episodes, extreme sensitivity to light and sound, inability to eat, feeling physically out of balance, weakness and exhaustion. I could be confined to bed for 2–3 days before gradually recovering.
A significant source of RF/EMF exposure was a cell tower in the paddock I rented for my horses. Over time it carried equipment from approximately six providers. For years I spent around five hours daily within 100 metres of it. Once highly sensitive, I reduced this to about two hours daily, the minimum needed to care for my horses.
I also experienced severe abdominal cramps, particularly in association with smart meters, episodes of slurred speech and serious cognitive problems. My short-term memory could disappear to the point that I had no recollection of what I had just said. I sometimes became defensive or unusually irritable when challenged about things I could not remember.
At my most sensitive I could not sit in front of a computer screen or be near a mobile phone without symptoms. When cumulative exposure was high, even proximity to a phone in flight mode could sometimes trigger symptoms.
I became unable to think clearly, was physically weak and exhausted, and for years could not work or earn a living. I could no longer attend my children's school meetings, shop, visit the doctor or dentist without exposure becoming a problem, or socialise normally. I lost almost all my friendships because I could no longer visit people's homes or meet in wireless public environments. EHS also placed considerable strain on my marriage and has played a significant part in its breakdown.
By 2019 I was living with profound fatigue virtually 24/7 and my quality of life had become unbearable. My family and I relocated from Hampshire to rural Mid Wales specifically so I could create an extremely low-EMF environment and attempt to recover.
For approximately four years much of my life was devoted to rebuilding my health, strength and stamina. It was a very slow process, but living with greatly reduced exposure allowed me eventually to begin working again.
I now operate a business from home. Although considerably stronger, I have not returned to my former life. I generally cannot spend more than around half a day in higher-exposure environments before needing to return home to recover.
Exposure affects my nervous system. I use breathwork, particular foods and physical exercises, which help me manage temporarily but do not remove my sensitivity. I still need my very low-exposure home environment, where my body can settle and recover; working with my land and animals also helps me ground.
My experience led me to establish The Wireless-Free Farm on our 17.5-acre smallholding in Mid Wales. It is intentionally maintained wireless-free because this remains the environment I need to live and work. We also welcome guests, including people with EHS who struggle to find suitable accommodation.
The Wireless-Free Farm is not a lifestyle choice or rejection of technology. It is the practical outcome of the adaptations I had to make to regain a workable life.
Q11 & Q16 – Sensitive populations and research
I encourage HHS to investigate people with EHS as a potentially sensitive population. Few genuinely low-exposure environments remain, making it difficult for affected people to avoid exposure sufficiently to observe changes.
Research should examine cumulative and multiple-source exposure, proximity, duration, pulsed/modulated signals and individual variation, including before and after substantial RF/EMF reduction. People who have reorganised their lives around exposure reduction and low-exposure environments may provide valuable research opportunities.
Q18 – Recommendation
Please listen carefully to people living with this condition. My experience alone cannot establish scientific causation, but experiences such as mine should not be dismissed because mechanisms remain uncertain.
I went from an ordinary, active life to being unable to work, socialise normally or participate fully in society. I had to relocate and redesign my living environment. Reducing my exposure was followed by substantial, although gradual, improvement.
Rigorous, independent research is urgently needed. This is not an abstract debate about technology. It affects where we can live, work, travel, receive healthcare, maintain relationships and participate in society.
Community corner
Community discussion
Reader replies are separate from the official HHS submission. They are reviewed before publication. Display names are not verified.