AI summary & topic connections

Reports recurrent hand tingling during phone and wireless-mouse use and improvement after switching to a wired mouse. Explicitly acknowledges uncertainty about causation and requests research, especially concerning children in schools.

  • Neurological symptoms & sleep: “my right hand begins to develop a pronounced tingling sensation”
  • Li-Fi, fiber & alternatives: “switch to a wired mouse”
  • Occupational exposure: “my wireless computer mouse at work”
  • Children & vulnerable groups: “children using wireless technology”
  • Research & federal duties: “identify gaps in current research”
  • Towers & siting: “including cell towers and increasingly widespread 5G technology”
  • Environmental effects: “potential health and environmental effects of wireless radiation”

Matched review of original text; attachments excluded. Review provenance

ORIGINAL COMMENT · UNEDITED TEXT
I am submitting this comment in response to HHS’s Request for Information on Electromagnetic Fields (EMFs), Radiofrequency (RF) Radiation, and Wireless Radiation Exposure. I am responding from the perspective of a concerned member of the public who has personally experienced symptoms that I believe may be associated with exposure to wireless devices. For several years, I have experienced a recurring and increasingly concerning problem involving wireless devices, particularly when they are used near my hands. When I use my cell phone for an extended period of time, my right hand begins to develop a pronounced tingling sensation. At times, it becomes difficult and uncomfortable to text, type, or even scroll on the phone. On some occasions, I have needed to wrap a cloth around the phone in order to continue using it. I experience a similar problem with my wireless computer mouse at work. After using it for a period of time, my right hand begins to tingle and becomes uncomfortable enough that I have difficulty using the mouse. I have repeatedly had to disconnect the wireless mouse and switch to a wired mouse in order to continue working. I am actually experiencing this tingling in my right hand while writing this comment. What concerns me most is the recurring pattern. The symptoms occur during prolonged use of wireless devices in close proximity to my hand, and I have found that switching to a wired device allows me to continue using the equipment without the same problem. I recognize that my personal experience does not establish the cause of these symptoms, but I believe the pattern deserves to be taken seriously and investigated. I also work in a school environment, where I regularly see children using wireless technology, including cell phones, tablets, computers, and wireless headphones. This has made me increasingly concerned about the amount of wireless radiation to which children may be exposed throughout their daily lives. In addition to personal devices, people are surrounded by wireless infrastructure, including cell towers and increasingly widespread 5G technology. We are living in an environment of substantially greater and more continuous wireless exposure than previous generations experienced. I have researched my symptoms and found that I am not the only person who reports experiencing unusual sensations or other symptoms associated with wireless-device exposure. While I understand that individual experiences and anecdotal reports are not a substitute for scientific evidence, I believe they should be taken seriously as a reason to conduct further research and investigate unanswered questions. I support HHS taking an active role in examining the potential health and environmental effects of wireless radiation. Questions about human health should be addressed by federal agencies with appropriate expertise in medicine, biology, epidemiology, and public health, and the experiences of individuals and families who report being affected should be considered alongside the scientific evidence. I urge HHS to carefully evaluate these experiences and the scientific evidence, identify gaps in current research, give particular attention to children and other potentially vulnerable populations, and establish appropriate federal research priorities regarding wireless radiation and public health. Thank you for providing individuals and families with an opportunity to be heard.