AI summary & topic connections

A parent describes a child's reported sensitivity and cumulative-exposure concerns, relates others' experiences and requests research supporting vulnerable families.

  • Children & vulnerable groups: “My daughter was born with health conditions of unknown origin.”
  • Electromagnetic sensitivity: “She is highly sensitive to EMF exposure, which we have only recently realized.”
  • Smart meters: “We had a smart meter and had to fight to get that turned off.”
  • Reproduction & pregnancy: “I had no understanding of modern EMF, RF, and Wireless Radiation Exposure during my pregnancy or while she was an infant.”
  • Neurological symptoms & sleep: “I had no understanding of modern EMF, RF, and Wireless Radiation Exposure during my pregnancy or while she was an infant.”
  • Research & federal duties: “I am submitting this comment in response to HHS’s Request for Information on Electromagnetic Fields (EMFs), Radiofrequency (RF) Radiation, and Wireless Radiation Exposure.”

Matched review of original text; attachments excluded. Review provenance

ORIGINAL COMMENT · UNEDITED TEXT
I am submitting this comment in response to HHS’s Request for Information on Electromagnetic Fields (EMFs), Radiofrequency (RF) Radiation, and Wireless Radiation Exposure. I am responding from the perspective of a parent, caregiver and a concerned member of the public. My daughter was born with health conditions of unknown origin. I had no understanding of modern EMF, RF, and Wireless Radiation Exposure during my pregnancy or while she was an infant. It took 8 years for a medical professional to come up with a diagnosis. She is highly sensitive to EMF exposure, which we have only recently realized. We are concerned with the cumulative effect all the sources of radiation is on her and our 3 other children. We had a smart meter and had to fight to get that turned off. It's so many places, we aren't even aware of them all and the combined load on our family's health. I know of a friend who lives near a 5G tower and had a normal pregnancy experience, morning sickness, cravings, weight gain, belly growing with no baby living inside the uterus - a ghost baby so to speak, she believes the tower may have caused this. She also experiences headaches and a high pitched ringing sound that her other family members can't hear. Another community member had severe ringing in his ears and crippling headaches while living in the city. He had to move out into the country. Once he did, the headaches stopped. We need more studies to have viable information of risks of EMF exporsure and how to help those most vulnerable and affected by it, especially for the special needs community like my 9 year old daughter. I support HHS taking an active role in examining the potential health and environmental effects of wireless radiation. Questions about human health should be addressed by federal agencies with appropriate expertise in medicine, biology, epidemiology, and public health, and the experiences of individuals and families who report being affected should be considered alongside the scientific evidence. I urge HHS to carefully evaluate these experiences and the scientific evidence, identify gaps in current research, give particular attention to children and other potentially vulnerable populations, and establish appropriate federal research priorities regarding wireless radiation and public health. Thank you for providing individuals and families with an opportunity to be heard.