AI summary & topic connections
Criticizes heating-focused regulation and perceived industry influence. Requests research and attention to non-thermal effects, mental health, cancer and proposed calcium-channel mechanisms, arguing that modern exposures affect bodies and the biosphere.
- Exposure limits & oversight: “om technology – this should be pursued and studied and implemented with vigor). Regulation has long been myopically focused on thermal effects from EMF, which do not manifest until intensely high doses; thus, relatively low dose (though still”
- Research & federal duties: “n scientifically on the topic (what is not known scientifically, and thus is in urgent need of more study, is also relevant). There has been a willful ignorance, a tendency to shun discussions of this topi”
- Proposed biological mechanisms: “ble to recite here. Cancer, yes, but also irritability, anxiety, alterations to cellular calcium channels, depression, sleeplessness. I mention these because I strongly suspect that the sky-high levels of ”
- Neurological symptoms & sleep: “so irritability, anxiety, alterations to cellular calcium channels, depression, sleeplessness. I mention these because I strongly suspect that the sky-high levels of EMF-type emissions we bathe”
- Cancer & tumors: “; they include a far broader array of impacts than I'll be able to recite here. Cancer, yes, but also irritability, anxiety, alterations to cellular calcium channels, depression, sleeple”
- Environmental effects: “levels of electromagnetic fields and not cause profound, complex changes to our biosphere and our human bodies. Yet our society's understanding of this topic has remained infuriatingly igno”
ORIGINAL COMMENT · UNEDITED TEXT
Thank you for finally addressing this critical and profoundly underacknowledged topic. In the modern world, we are routinely exposed to levels of EMFs that are many orders of magnitude higher than the environment in which we evolved (I don't have the numbers before me – if HHS doesn't have these numbers, I strongly encourage you to establish them) – I believe the comparison I've seen was some ridiculous discrepancy on the order of trillions if not higher. That alone is cause for suspicion. Electromagnetism is one of the fundamental forces of known reality; it is inconceivable that we would ratchet up the levels of electromagnetic fields and not cause profound, complex changes to our biosphere and our human bodies. Yet our society's understanding of this topic has remained infuriatingly ignorant, relative to what is known scientifically on the topic (what is not known scientifically, and thus is in urgent need of more study, is also relevant). There has been a willful ignorance, a tendency to shun discussions of this topic as 'tin foil hat conspiracy' stuff. I believe this has been encouraged if not outright orchestrated by the communications and technology industries; EMF and related emissions/pollution are a core externality of their business model (this need not necessarily be so; there are ways to change/harmonize/reduce the EM that comes from technology – this should be pursued and studied and implemented with vigor). Regulation has long been myopically focused on thermal effects from EMF, which do not manifest until intensely high doses; thus, relatively low dose (though still very very high doses) EM emissions have been dismissed, if they do not cause thermal impacts. The scientific literature on this point is robust, and clear: the game is all about the non-thermal effects. Non-thermal effects from EMF/RF/wireless non-ionizing radiation, documented in scientific literature, are diverse, and concerning; they include a far broader array of impacts than I'll be able to recite here. Cancer, yes, but also irritability, anxiety, alterations to cellular calcium channels, depression, sleeplessness. I mention these because I strongly suspect that the sky-high levels of EMF-type emissions we bathe in daily are causal to some degree in the disturbed mental health and general sense of dis-ease in our modern world. People widely report being depressed, being anxious, and we see the impacts in our fractured social ties, polarized social discourse, disintegrating families and communities. The physical health harms of EMFs are highly important, and deserve your priority attention; and so, too, the mental health harms. Thank you for addressing this topic. I wish you well in your study, and encourage you to take this comment as a framework for your understanding of the issue.
Community corner
Community discussion
Reader replies are separate from the official HHS submission. They are reviewed before publication. Display names are not verified.