AI summary & topic connections
A brain-tumor patient requests rigorous research on RF exposure and existing cancer, recurrence and treatment outcomes, explicitly declining to claim that RF caused the tumor. Seeks evidence either way, vulnerable-population studies, independent siting guidance and post-installation exposure monitoring.
- Cancer & tumors: “at do we know about long-term RF exposure in people who already have cancer? Much of the RF/cancer discussion focuses on whether ”
- Research & federal duties: “ivity, treatment response, and survival. If rigorous research demonstrates that typical environmental RF exposure ha”
- Children & vulnerable groups: “nd people experiencing decades of exposure. Children deserve particular attention because today’s children may experience wireless expos”
- Towers & siting: “themselves. I strongly encourage meaningful post-installation RF monitoring. Distance from a tower alone does not determine exposu”
- Proposed biological mechanisms: “ recurrence, molecular and cellular effects, oxidative stress and inflammation, blood-brain barrier effects, tumor microenvironment, ”
- Exposure limits & oversight: “fferently to chronic RF exposure and whether existing standards adequately protect people with cancer or neurological disease, children, ”
ORIGINAL COMMENT · UNEDITED TEXT
I am submitting this comment as a mother, a resident of rural Alaska, and a person living with a brain tumor diagnosis.
In January 2025, I was diagnosed with an IDH-mutant astrocytoma, WHO grade 2, in my left frontal lobe. I underwent an awake craniotomy and tumor resection in August 2025 and continue regular neurological and MRI surveillance.
A new cellular communications tower is now nearing completion approximately 500–700 feet from my home in my small rural Alaska community.
I am not claiming RF radiation caused my brain tumor or that this tower will cause recurrence. Instead, my diagnosis and the construction of this tower have led me to a question for which I have had difficulty finding adequate research:
What do we know about long-term RF exposure in people who already have cancer?
Much of the RF/cancer discussion focuses on whether RF exposure can initiate cancer. Cancer patients need another question investigated: whether chronic RF exposure has any measurable effect on existing tumor cells, tumor progression, recurrence, treatment response, neurological symptoms, or long-term outcomes.
I urge HHS to specifically study RF exposure in people with existing cancer and cancer survivors, including patients with primary brain tumors. Research should examine tumor progression and recurrence, molecular and cellular effects, oxidative stress and inflammation, blood-brain barrier effects, tumor microenvironment, seizure activity, treatment response, and survival.
If rigorous research demonstrates that typical environmental RF exposure has no meaningful effect on these outcomes, that information would itself be extremely valuable. Patients need reliable evidence either way.
I also ask HHS to investigate whether medically vulnerable populations respond differently to chronic RF exposure and whether existing standards adequately protect people with cancer or neurological disease, children, and people experiencing decades of exposure.
Children deserve particular attention because today’s children may experience wireless exposure throughout nearly their entire lives.
HHS should investigate potential biological effects occurring below levels that cause significant tissue heating and determine whether any observed effects translate into clinically meaningful health consequences. Research should consider cumulative exposure from cellular towers, phones, Wi-Fi, small cells, connected devices, and future technologies.
I also encourage HHS to examine infrastructure siting. When transmitting equipment is placed near homes, schools, childcare facilities, playgrounds, or healthcare facilities, communities should have independent, evidence-based health guidance, particularly when reasonable alternative locations exist.
Small communities should also have access to independent RF expertise rather than relying primarily on information provided by telecommunications companies or citizens attempting to interpret highly technical research themselves.
I strongly encourage meaningful post-installation RF monitoring. Distance from a tower alone does not determine exposure. Antenna height, orientation, frequencies, power, terrain, and other factors matter. Residents should have access to understandable measurements of actual RF exposure after equipment becomes operational.
Finally, I ask HHS to clearly distinguish between evidence that an exposure is harmful, evidence that it is safe, and circumstances where sufficient evidence does not yet exist.
For someone already diagnosed with a brain tumor, the question is not simply, “Can RF radiation cause cancer?”
We also deserve an evidence-based answer to: “Does chronic RF exposure matter once cancer already exists?”
I do not know the answer. That is precisely why I am asking our federal health agencies to investigate it.
Wireless communication is important, particularly in rural communities like mine. Technological progress and public health do not have to be opposing goals. We can benefit from wireless technology while independently studying long-term exposure, identifying potentially susceptible populations, monitoring real-world exposure, and making thoughtful infrastructure decisions.
As someone who may spend years living several hundred feet from a cellular tower while undergoing surveillance for progression or recurrence of a brain tumor, I want to know that this question has actually been studied rather than simply assumed.
I respectfully ask HHS to make research involving cancer patients, brain-tumor patients, children, and other potentially vulnerable populations a priority.
Thank you for considering my comment.
Community corner
Community discussion
Reader replies are separate from the official HHS submission. They are reviewed before publication. Display names are not verified.