AI summary & topic connections

Reports symptoms near home-office equipment and improvement after unplugging devices, explicitly acknowledging that this does not establish causation. Requests research on combined exposures and public field modeling for a proposed transmission line near homes and schools.

  • Power lines, wiring & solar: “transmission line”
  • Research & federal duties: “Additional research”
  • Children & vulnerable groups: “children”
  • Wi-Fi & indoor exposure: “Wi-Fi”
  • Neurological symptoms & sleep: “headaches”
  • Heart symptoms & implanted devices: “heart palpitations”
  • Occupational exposure: “home office”
  • Exposure limits & oversight: “Public disclosure”

Matched review of original text; attachments excluded. Review provenance

ORIGINAL COMMENT · UNEDITED TEXT
Re: Docket HHS-OASH-2026-0397 — Request for Information on Electromagnetic Fields (EMFs), Radiofrequency (RF) Radiation, and Wireless Radiation Exposure Questions addressed: 2, 3, 8, 9, 11, 16, and 18 I am submitting this comment as a concerned member of the public based on my personal experience and concerns regarding EMF exposure. I began noticing significant fatigue, headaches, anxiety, heart palpitations, and brain fog while working at the computer in my home office. My desktop computer, cell phone, and Wi-Fi/Bluetooth printer were all located very close to me. After purchasing a consumer EMF detector, I observed elevated readings near several devices, with the highest readings near my printer. I began unplugging my printer except when needed and unplugging my computer after use. After making these changes, I noticed an improvement in my symptoms. I recognize that my personal experience does not establish causation, but it raised important questions for me about prolonged, real-world exposure to multiple EMF sources. I encourage HHS to study not only individual devices in isolation, but also environments where people are exposed to multiple EMF sources for extended periods. This is particularly important to me because the City of Columbia, Missouri, has proposed the 161-kV Grindstone-to-Perche Creek transmission line, including a potential Vawter School Road corridor. The proposed infrastructure would pass through developed residential areas and near places used by children, including Mill Creek Elementary School and its playground and Cale School. I respectfully ask HHS to include 60-Hz extremely low-frequency (ELF) electric and magnetic fields from high-voltage transmission lines in its EMF research and review, particularly regarding children and long-term exposure. I am especially concerned about the complete EMF environment of a school near high-voltage transmission infrastructure. Modern classrooms may contain Wi-Fi access points, laptops, tablets, Bluetooth devices, wireless printers, cell phones, electrical wiring, lighting, and other electronic equipment. If a school is also near high-voltage transmission lines, children may experience multiple types and frequencies of electromagnetic fields throughout the school day and over many years. I recognize that ELF fields from transmission lines and RF emissions from wireless technology are different and cannot necessarily be combined into a single exposure number. However, children experience these sources together in the real world, and I believe HHS should investigate whether simultaneous, repeated, and long-term exposure to multiple EMF sources and frequencies has health implications. For new high-voltage transmission projects near homes and schools, I ask HHS to consider recommending: * Public disclosure of modeled 60-Hz magnetic-field levels at various distances from proposed transmission lines; * Modeling based on actual conductor configuration and expected average and peak electrical loads, not voltage alone; * Modeling or measurements at nearby homes, schools, classrooms, and playgrounds; * Baseline measurements before new lines are energized and follow-up measurements after construction; and * Additional research on long-term ELF exposure and combined real-world EMF environments, particularly for children. I am not asserting that these exposures cause specific health effects. I am asking HHS to investigate these questions rigorously and provide families, schools, and communities with clear, evidence-based information about long-term and multiple-source EMF exposure.