AI summary & topic connections

A parent raises concerns about tower deployment, regulatory safeguards and wildlife and requests further research and protection for children.

  • Towers & siting: “ighly concerning that as the signal gets stronger (e.g., from 4G to 5G), it drops off more quickly during transmission, requiring the spacing between stations to be closer.”
  • Exposure limits & oversight: “From what I understand, when FCC was issuing licenses, originally they held the bands 4G and above outside of licensing because they were considered too dangerous to human health.”
  • Environmental effects: “Anecdotally, California is known to have a significant drop in hummingbirds (some places to zero from historically large populations), which may be related to the increase in EMFs.”
  • Research & federal duties: “I am submitting this comment in response to HHS’s Request for Information on Electromagnetic Fields (EMFs), Radiofrequency (RF) Radiation, and Wireless Radiation Exposure.”
  • Children & vulnerable groups: “I personally want the choice to limit exposure to EMFs, to avoid documented negative health impacts from high EMF exposure.”

Matched review of original text; attachments excluded. Review provenance

ORIGINAL COMMENT · UNEDITED TEXT
I am submitting this comment in response to HHS’s Request for Information on Electromagnetic Fields (EMFs), Radiofrequency (RF) Radiation, and Wireless Radiation Exposure. I am responding from the perspective of a parent, and a concerned member of the public. A good friend of the family is a famous osteopath, Dr. Carlisle Holland, who started his college career in electrical engineering and then become more interested in medicine -- so he has an excellent perspective on electronics and their potential impact on health. From what I understand, when FCC was issuing licenses, originally they held the bands 4G and above outside of licensing because they were considered too dangerous to human health. Now we are looking at 6G, which is extremely concerning. When will we draw the line firmly? It is highly concerning that as the signal gets stronger (e.g., from 4G to 5G), it drops off more quickly during transmission, requiring the spacing between stations to be closer. With each bump up in power, there will be more construction needed and each station emitting more powerfully. This is great for construction and/or cell service providers, but not good for the general citizenry. Anecdotally, California is known to have a significant drop in hummingbirds (some places to zero from historically large populations), which may be related to the increase in EMFs. I personally want the choice to limit exposure to EMFs, to avoid documented negative health impacts from high EMF exposure. I support HHS taking an active role in examining the potential health and environmental effects of wireless radiation. Questions about human health should be addressed by federal agencies with appropriate expertise in medicine, biology, epidemiology, and public health, and the experiences of individuals and families who report being affected should be considered alongside the scientific evidence. I urge HHS to carefully evaluate these experiences and the scientific evidence, identify gaps in current research, give particular attention to children and other potentially vulnerable populations, and establish appropriate federal research priorities regarding wireless radiation and public health. Thank you for providing individuals and families with an opportunity to be heard.